Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dear Blogspot,

It is so cold. We have the heat on and I am still chilly. Wool socks, sweats, a thermal shirt--still cold.

I even stopped on my way home to get a white mocha at Starbucks. Pure deliciousness. It warmed me for thirty minutes or so...but eventually I was cold once again. Sticking with the white mocha for a moment though, it feels like liquid Christmas to me. Odd, I know, but there is something about the cheery red Starbucks cup and yummy coffee that you normally don't indulge in. It's perfect as you walk along the snowy sidewalks--you just start thinking about how very holiday-esque the whole scenario is.

I am glad to have ended my day in this way as it began with a wee bit of annoyance at using four-wheel drive to get to the highway since Northampton had a two hour delay but Springfield had no delay at all. Not cool I tell you.

A thought taking up residence in my mind: for work I have to blog about discussion questions and articles regarding technology. One of the questions was about the actual practice of blogging. I replied that I think it can be beneficial for online class discussions as long as safety precautions are taken, and then also discussed the more practical, social uses. I also admitted to having blogged a time or two (I used to be an avid livejournaler). The next teacher to comment let her true feelings be known when she essentially called the practice and anyone who blogs at all, self-indulgent, egotistical whiners of generation-pay-attention-to-me. Sheesh, tell us what you really think. Aside: I love that I am blogging about how much she hates blogging, and of course, being incredibly self-indulgent. Honestly though, if you don't indulge yourself every now and then, who will? Isn't that the basis of the term? Plus, if you don't want to read what someone writes/blogs, don't. It's as simple as that. It's rather hypocritical to claim the practice and all those who partake as egotistical and self-indulgent if you yourself are reading all of the blogs (and if you're not, then how do you really know if the blogger is being self-indulgent?). Even if you don't agree with any of this, it's harsh to be so negative-Nancy on the practice when you know several colleagues posted about benefits and admitting to blogging themselves. Eek.

On a brighter note, just one and half more days until my winter break of...drum roll, please...nearly three weeks begins! Woo-hoo! It may even be one day longer as an awful lot of snow is being predicted for Friday. How self-indulgent is this...bragging about my vacation? In your face, blogger world!

Signed,
Chilly (with a wrist cramp from writing over a cat sleeping on my desk) in Massachusetts

No comments: