Saturday, January 31, 2009

Five things I've done today to procrastinate:

1. Make the decision that much of this blog should be done in lists, as I would blog with more frequency if it were.

2. Make butter pecan cupcakes with almond buttercream frosting. Yes, they are as delicious as they sound.

3. Frost said cupcakes with my pastry bag attachment so that they look professional. This deserves a number all its own because although they look really great, it definitely takes a lot longer than spreading with a knife.

4. Went through one of our book cases to find books to donate. I am normally a firm believer in keeping all of your books, however, we have many book shelves and they are all full. When we moved into this house we ordered four amazing book shelves, hand-crafted just for us and they are all overly full of volumes I know I'll never read again. So today I began the selection process...in the pile as of this moment:

  • any Shakespeare play I own in paperback--I feel justified in this as I own the entire anthology from college and I don't actually teach any plays other than Macbeth. If I were to ever have a class of seniors at my high school (which I actually don't want), I would also teach Hamlet but I have both of those in this really great edition for teaching, so I am all set.
  • Heart of Darkness--oh, how I loathe thee. You weren't the first in the discard pile, but had I been thinking ahead, you would have been. I did not enjoy that book at all.
  • Love in the Time of Cholera--or might I say, book which took me forever to read. Marquez's syntax is so thick and convoluted it took a ridiculously long time to get through this book, and I really wanted to read it. Although I liked the actual book, I know I'll never read it again.
  • Several Dover thrift editions of books I already own--I have no idea why I need three or four copies of the same book. I have a few multiple volumes, but only of books that are mine and my dad's old copies or my nanny's.

5. Harvesting and plowing "My Farm" application on facebook--what a waste of time. It is a glorious way to procrastinate. This list and post haven't been too shabby either.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I love this post and can't believe I haven't checked in on your blog in so long! I was thinking of some top 10's I wanted to post the other day, but as with many things these days, it only happened in my head.

xo