Thursday, October 13, 2011

Finnegan's 2nd Birthday!

Finnegan's birthday fell on a Thursday this year and I planned to spend the day doing the things he likes.  I asked him what he wanted for breakfast and he asked for "dip-dips."  For all of those not fluent in Finneganese this means pancakes that he can dip in syrup.  His wish was my command and we went from there.  I had planned a fun morning at the park, but Finnegan decided that we should stay inside to play with his new gift; a baby and a stroller.  His butt spent more time in the stroller than his doll's did that day, and he didn't want to go any where or do anything because he didn't want to leave his baby or his stroller.  Still, he had a blast laughing his high pitched laugh he has when he is fully immersed in pretend play and feeding his baby all morning.  When Jon came home we celebrated with almond cake and an Elmo spoon and fork which really made the kid's entire afternoon.  What can we say, he's easy to please.  He's also an icing fiend and ate mostly frosting for his snack.  I can't say I really blame him; I love this chocolate fudge frosting and am always looking for occasions to make it.
On Saturday, we celebrated his birthday with family and friends and Finn did such a great job.  I really expected a melt down or two with all of the different people in his face and playing with all of his toys.  Instead, he was laughing and in a good mood all day, allowing people to hold him and cousins to push, pull, and carry him anywhere and everywhere.  




Finnegan is fairly obsessed with trains these days.  He begs for the train at the local park (which is now closed for the season, and thus a tough subject when he asks), he insists upon wearing only his "choo choo coat," even though it's getting really cold here and it's just a cotton hoodie.  Note to self: invest in a down vest for Finn.  Jon took charge of making decorations for outside and we used the banner I made last year for his big day.  The favors were conductor hats, handkerchiefs, and whistles.  (Here's a random aside, what an odd word handkerchief really is.)  The train we made for the food was an easy idea, but surprisingly difficult to put into action.

Below Finnegan was reading a book with his memere, but he jumped off the couch at the sound of Drew's voice (see little boy in black skeleton shirt) and ran to greet him.  The party, for Finn, began at that moment.  It became more exciting as more friends arrived, and Anny happily tried out his new doll stroller for him.  






My sister-in-law made Elmo and Cookie Monster cake balls, or Elbow and Cookie as they're known round these parts, for Finnegan's party guests.  They were so cute and looked extremely labor-intensive.  She sort of deserved a medal for these.
 I'm sad this is blurry, but still glad to see his little cheeks puffed out and his little curls peeking from underneath his cap.



 The niece express!
 The nephews.
 Several of my family members, braving the chilly afternoon for Finn's party.




 Finnegan wasn't happy to be sitting on my lap as I had grabbed him from his lawn mowing for the moment. As you can see, Drew had also been mowing the lawn with him and needed the mower in the picture.  I think Anny may be flirting with Drew. :)  Still, here we all are: these two amazing women that I met when Finn was just two months old.  They make me a better mom and I'm truly blessed to have so many great mom friends with whom to share the moments, the worries, and the triumphs.  I'm so glad to have celebrated my little boy who just turned two, but also to celebrate Jon and myself as we are celebrating two years as parents, as a trio, as a family.

No comments: