Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Required reading--retch!

As a part of the AP grant our school has every teacher must attend a week of AP training each summer. To date I've attended four AP trainings and will attend my fifth in a few weeks. Not all of these trainings have been a full week...but that's still a lot of training.

For this summer's workshop we were given the names of two books and an essay that we are required to read, though I double-checked the email and it did say "have read or have knowledge of." I plan to use the latter to beg out of one of the selections. I've been reading one of the books (the one I was excited about) for about a week now and I just can't get into it. I think it's the format coupled with an overly verbose author who likes to name drop. Actually I know it's all of those things. As I try to wade through the dreaded thing, I feel massive guilt over the required reading of the AP students at my high school. But I honestly think they have been given a good selection this summer...of course, perhaps this instructor feels exactly the same way.

No comments: