Jon picked out the paint color and I really love how blue it is. It looks like the sky and it really brightens up your mood when you see it. In this picture our fabulous borrowed crib shows the blue off nicely.

Jon's mom, Martha, purchased this really great toucan that appears to be in flight when you pull the string below him. He has a huge wing span and finding just the right spot for him was a bit of a problem but he finally found a home near the door, perched high enough that only adults can reach the string for now.

I was aiming for a bird and tree theme in his room, but came up short as most of the gear I found was made for little girls--didn't want to give the kid a complex with all pink bedding. Still Tiffany made us a fun receiving blanket with birds that I adore and Corinne's Meme knitted us a beautiful green blanket that matches the curtains and the room perfectly. I was very touched as she only knits these blankets for her the babies of her grandchildren and children.

I found some great fabric by Valerie Wells that tied in the greens and blues in the room and made it into curtains. It was a bit short of what I needed and so I added a ruffle to make them long enough. I'm not thrilled about the ruffle, but I think they came out pretty nicely especially considering the fact that I didn't use a pattern.


We decided to skip the changing table and found two great bureaus instead picking a shorter one for the changing pad. We figure we can just keep the shorter one for a changing table/bureau for our next kid (should we be brave enough to do this twice) and the tall one can stay with this little boy who is soon to come. Jon also stained a bookshelf my dad made years ago and my English department as well as both of our mothers helped to fill it right up! My sister-in-law Paula also donated many a book to our cause. It also helps that Jon and I are both book nuts and saved a ridiculous amount of our own childhood books.


My mom also found these really great stuffed animals called Derangos that are ridiculously cute. They have great snouts and tails for little hands to drag around the house and they are made out of a many different textures and fabrics. We put them on the bookshelf for now next to Smoky the Bear.


My really sweet cow with a trench coat also needed a spot on the shelf with her legs crossed all ladylike.

Finishing up the room are the beautiful painting Corinne bought for us and the wonderful quilt my grandma made and then hand-embroidered pictures onto. I love all of the great shapes and images she included. I don't love that the image appears sideways despite the fact that it is right side up on my computer. Arg with technology!


Last, but certainly not least, we have the ceiling fan which seems an odd thing to post when showcasing the baby's room. However there was no ceiling light or fan in the room so the fan itself is a bit of a miracle. Jon found a woman through work that will come to your home and teach you about electricity and how to properly wire your home for different projects. You pay her for the time it takes her to teach you initially and then you have the expertise to do things on your own. After installing the ceiling fan with her help, Jon installed the outside censored flood light on his own. I was impressed and thankful for her help. They were also able to hook the ceiling light/fan up to dimmers so it is easy to have a soft light or a soft breeze in the room.
1 comment:
The room looks great! I love the blue walls! And, the fabric you used for the curtains is one of my very favorites right now. SO happy and cute.
Post a Comment